Sunday, February 24, 2013

Twinkie, Deconstructed

The Book Cover
I read the book Twinkie, Deconstructed by Steve Ettlinger. After I finished the book my overall opinion was that the book wasn't that interesting and it was hard to understand. I expected the book to be about what the ingredients were, but it was mostly where the ingredients came from.
   
 Steve Ettlinger wrote this book because one day when he was at the beach having ice cream with his daughter, she asked him where polysorbate 60 came from. He had no idea what to tell her. After that he decided to find out where polysorbate 60 came from along with all the other ingredients in a twinkie.
     
The main idea of the book is to inform people about what they are eating and where the unknown ingredients come from. I think that Mr. Ettlinger did this because most people just shove things like twinkies in their mouths not thinking about where they come from.

This book might be better for older readers. It was pretty hard to understand and my parents had to help me with some of the chapters. I would give this book 3 out of 5 stars because even though the book was hard to read and a bit complicated, it still had great information.


 

4 comments:

  1. From reading your blog this book seems very interesting because it is about something I have eaten before, the Twinkie. I would love to read this book, it seems like a great way to learn about what you eat in your everyday foods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wondered what what was inside Twinkies, and this book looks interesting. Though frankly, I don't think I would have the patience to read a book entirely about Twinkies. The video was interesting, though it ruined the myth about Twinkies lasting forever for me. But it's always good to know what it is you're eating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool! I would have never thought that there would be rocks in Twinkles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book seems really interesting. To be honest, it makes me a bit nervous about eating processed foods. But I'll always love twinkies.

    ReplyDelete