Thursday, February 14, 2013

Amazing (and Horrible) Diseases and Disorders

Have you ever heard songs in your head? Mistook your leg for someone elses? Thought your wife (or anybody...) was a hat? If so, then you're like one of Dr. Oliver Sacks's patients, in the book he wrote called The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales. 


Dr. Oliver Sacks
This book is a collection of short stories and tales of Dr. Oliver Sacks's life, about his most interesting patients.  There are four parts: Losses, Excesses, Transports, and the World of the Simple. Two of my favorite stories from Losses were a man in the hospital that woke up in the middle of the night and didn't recognize his own leg - he thought that the nurses were playing a trick on him by putting a severed leg in his bed, and one about an old man that tilts 20ยบ when he stands up. One of my favorite stories from Excesses was about to partly-deaf women who heard music in their heads. An interesting story from Transports was about a man who killed his child while on drugs, but didn't remember the crime, and then he hit his head while in an institution and had it all come back to him. A story from the World of the Simple, is about John and Michael, two autistic twins.


I thought that this book is very interesting, it has a lot of crazy stories that you would think are completely fake. It's hard to understand at times, because the language was difficult, and the science can be confusing. It takes a long time to read. If you have too much time, and are interested in the brain (and you like to read), you should read this book. I would give this book four stars.

Oliver Sacks talking about a question he has about the brain.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a very interesting book and it also sounds like you learned a lot. The case of John and Michael was interesting to read about. I might have to go to the library and get my own copy to read. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book seems really interesting! When I read what the book was about, I wanted to laugh, but I stopped myself because this topic isn't really a laughing matter. I would like to read this book, though, as I really want to know more about how the mind works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This seems like such a cool topic! It sounds so unique and all the stories sound so interesting! The John and Michael story is so interesting, I want to learn more! I really want to read this book now, and learn more about this really interesting topic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. those are pretty funny stories im defijnitely goiung to read that book now it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete