Thursday, February 14, 2013

Apollo 13

Apollo 13

Jim Lovell, Jack Swigert, and Fred Haise (left to right)
From: newscientist.com
     Listen up bloggers! Have you ever seen the movie Apollo 13? Have you ever wondered what it would like to be an astronaut on a spaceship where everything went wrong? If you have or are curious, you should read The Apollo 13 Mission by Judy L. Hasday. This book brought me to the beginning of the space program, before NASA, all the way to today's NASA missions. However, this book did not go overboard on information; Judy L. Hasday focused on the Apollo 13 mission and it's astronauts.
      The astronauts on the spacecraft were Jim Lovell, Fred Haise, and Jack Swigert. The mission of Apollo 13 originally was for Lovell and Haise to land on the moon, but after an explosion that occurred on the ship, the mission was to get all three of the astronauts back to Earth safely.    
     The explosion caused the spaceship to leak oxygen out into space; this was quickly fixed. Because of all the damage, the crew had to move from the Command Module (CM) to the Lunar Module (LM). However, this caused another problem, the LM was only made to support two people.
     Let me stop here and explain: The LM is the part of the space ship that Lovell and Haise were supposed to land on the moon in while Swigert stayed in the CM waiting to bring them home.
    With this problem of supplies, the crew had to ration on water, food and other necessities. The three astronauts had to complete many difficult tasks, many of them made it into record books.
     Overall, this book was extremely interesting and I though it was excellent how Judy L. Hasday wrote in a way that made you feel you were there. This book might not look interesting to you but I strongly urge you to watch the movie, if you enjoy the movie, as I did, read this book to gain more knowledge on the subject! Here's the trailer to get you interested...

Apollo 13 Cap-up

   Judy L. Hasday wrote this book to educate people on what really happened to lead up to the mission of Apollo 13, I really enjoyed it because I learned so many new things. I strongly suggest everyone interested to read this book, I was skeptical at first but once I finished the book I was glad I chose to read it!
Thank you,
Celia

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you learned a lot from this book and enjoyed reading it. The story of Apollo 13 is incredible! I also enjoyed watching the video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very interesting review. The book seems to be very positive and informative, just like your review. It seems to be well rounded. Over all it is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great book. The video was a really cool addition to the post. I really enjoyed learning a bit about the Apollo 13!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The book seems really interesting! I had never heard of Apollo 13 before reading this but your post makes me want to learn more!

    ReplyDelete