Thursday, February 14, 2013

Running with the Taraumara


Arnulfo Quimare. A great Tarahumara runner. 
       Imagine being able to run for a hundred miles without stopping, wearing only tin sandals.
In the inspiring story Born to Run by Christopher McDougall, we go into the world of running and the Tarahumara, a tribe living in Mexico's sierrra Madre. I really enjoyed this book, and I would give it 5 stars. It's an upbeat story about Christopher McDougall's journey to figure out why we get injured so much wearing expensive running shoes, and the Tarahumara, only wearing thin sandals, can run for hundreds without getting injured. What he figured out is that their are cultures around the world that have perfected moving their body over wild terrains in their bare feet. They do it in such a way that
Caballo Blanco 
their liberated by it. He also went into depth on why some people can run so far and fast while others run so slow. What he figured out was that the people who could run fast were not just born fast. They love to run, and that made them better and faster than everyone else.
    One of my favorite parts in this book is when he meets up with Caballo Blanco, practically a myth that runs from town to town everyday (who, unfortunately, has passed) and Barefoot Ted, Jenn, and Billy. When they all meet up, they have a crazy experience getting ready for their race. Overall, this book was amazing and I highly recommend it to anyone who loves sports or crazy adventures.








3 comments:

  1. I loved this book! I found the science behing why humans run incredibly interesting. I also enjoyed the story of the Caballo Blanco and Tarahumara. It's a great read and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book seems really interesting! The video really adds to my knowledge, and really explains a lot! I wish I could run that fast :P I would definitely read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is amazing. If I could run that long I would. It's really inspiring and an amazing story. Sounds like you enjoyed it as well. I would definitely read it, it sounds so interesting.

    ReplyDelete