Thursday, February 14, 2013

Into the World of John Elder Robison


The novel, Don’t Look Me in the Eye by John Elder Robison is about John Robison (the author), and his life story. John has trouble connecting and interacting with others. In his childhood, he never had a real home, for his parents continuously fought, his brother became distant, and he moved repeatedly. John struggles to find a job, but he takes interest in engineering, and works with the legend KISS. John soon finds a stable home, job, and a new wife (Martha), to start his supportive life. He finally learns about his disease, Aspergers, and writes about it in this moving book in order to teach, and make the world aware of the autism/Aspergers spectrum, and to tell his coming of age story.


           I could relate to John Robison and liked the book a lot. My cousin is autistic, and I've also taken Best Buddies. This book helped me to understand people with these kinds of disabilities better, and it's very interesting to learn about John's life, and how he connects with others. In order to read this compelling story, background information on Aspergers/autism is not needed, for John makes it easy to read this book, and follow his life events, while getting new perspectives on all living things. 

John Robison’s brother, Augusten Burroughs, also has an interesting story, and he writes about 
it in his story Running with Scissors. 


             Therefore, this is a great book for learning, getting different perspectives, and overall, a fun and interesting story to read.





4 comments:

  1. I read this book too and thoroughly enjoyed it. I learned a lot about Aspergers from reading it. I'm glad to see that you are continuing on your journey of learning from others even though you aren't a part of Best Buddies this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never really understood Aspergers but your blog really convinced me to go read it. Great work, Brett

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you made a connection to the story with your own life. and your summary was very detaild and it mad me want to read the book. This is a great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds very interesting. Your description and analysis made me want to read both John and his brother's books!! Great job.

    ReplyDelete