Sunday, February 24, 2013

Space

       I read a book about how Earth's rotation is slowing, how the moon was formed, the possibility of alien life, and other cool things. The book is titled The Universe At Home in the Cosmos by Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Charles Liu, and Robert Irion. I learned a lot of new things. The authors wrote this book because they wanted to connect us to the universe.
       For example, Earth is slowed down by the moon's gravity. Every million years, a day becomes 16 seconds longer. Four hundred million years ago a day was only 22 hours long.
       The moon was created about 4.5 billion years ago. A mars sized asteroid hit the embryonic Earth. The very hot ejecta that came out in the crash started orbiting Earth. This then cooled and was pulled together by gravity to form the moon. Click here to learn more about the creation of the moon.
       Scientists believe that Jupiter's moon Europa could have life. Jupiter heats Europa so that there can be a ocean below the ice. Life could be possible in Europa's ocean because Biologists believe that life on Earth began in the sea.

3 comments:

  1. you did a great job, I never knew earth was slowed down by earths gravity. your blog is very informative and I love the video on aliens, it is super cool. there were so many cool facts as I read, Now I want to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow james that was really interesting and cool. I loved how the video was really informative, and how both te video and the blog taught me about things I probably never would have learned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like such a cool book! I never knew that the earth's days get longer every million years, or how the moon was made! The video about aliens on Europa was really interesting, and a really cool theory! There were so many cool facts in it, and I learned a lot from it!

    ReplyDelete